The Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc (NAHCO Aviance) is West Africa’s leading ground handling service provider with presence in all major Nigerian Airports. Founded in December 1979, it has since grown into a multi-billion Naira company with diversified investments in energy, logistics and development of a free trade zone company.
At inception in 1979, the Federal Government, through the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) had the majority equity interest of 60% while four foreign airlines – Air France, British Airways, Sabena and Lufthansa – shared the remaining 40 per cent in various ratios. NAHCO Plc had since gone through changes in its ownership structure following the sales of Government stakes through the privatization exercise of 2005.
In additional in line with global trends of network airlines divesting from non-core services including ground handling, the shareholder airlines have divested from NAHCO. They, however, remain prime customers of NAHCO.
80,000 shareholders were listed on The Nigerian Stock Exchange in 2006 with the symbol ‘NAHCO’. Three institutional investors currently hold more than 5% of the total shares of the company as of January 2019. These major investors are Godsmart Nigeria Limited – 26.95%; Awhua Resources Limited – 7.13%; and White Cowries Industries Limited – 6.98%.
NAHCO’s groundbreaking and leadership in the nation’s Aviation Ground & Cargo Handling business have been unparalleled as the company has continually shown the way in this critical service sector through its many first achievements in the Nigeria aviation industry. Amongst our many first achievements are:
- First Nigerian ground handling company to enter a strategic global alliance through its members of Aviance, an alliance of 10 reputable airport service providers operating from 112 airports in 17 countries;
- The first ground handling company in West Africa to join The International Air Cargo Association (TIACA), for the promotion of air cargo industry and world trade;
- The first ground handling company in West Africa to receive ISAGO certification, the aviation industry’s highest safety honours, that is the IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations;
- The first ground handling company in Nigeria and indeed the whole of West Africa to attain the EU Regulated Agent Third Country (RA3) certification; and
- A two-time winner of the prestigious Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Presidential Merit Award for the Aviation Sector
The very rigorous processes leading to these various certifications and re-certification of the Company business have set it up as the benchmark for local aviation service quality.
Winning awards is second nature to NAHCO. Our long list of awards includes the Global Risk Award 2016 in the UK where we won the Excellence in the Face of Adversity Award; NIGAV Award, 2018, for Best Airport Ground Handling Award; African Corporate Leadership Excellence Prize, 2018; and the International Trophy for Quality, 2018 awarded by Global Trade Club, Madrid, Spain;
Other awards are the Aviation Handling Company of the Year, 2017, awarded by Nigeria Transport Awards; The Best Air Cargo Handling Company, 2017 awarded by Sub – Saharan Enterprise.
NAHCO is embarking on a transformation process which berthed with the new board of directors. The impact of this has started manifesting with the procurement of new ground handling and service equipment, operational tools and upgrade of facilities. In the year 2018 NAHCO commenced a short-term asset replacement plan valued at over N3.3 Billion. The first phase acquisition of about equipment and facilities refurbishment worth about N1.5 billion and the first set of these equipment will arrive by the end of the first quarter of 2019. More acquisitions are planned for the year 2019.
The transformation agenda is an aggressive pursuit aimed at changing the way things were previously done and further expand our business organically and inorganically.
In November 2018, the company working with aviation industry experts from KPMG, developed a medium-term plan spanning 2019 to 2023. This plan redefined our strategic aspirations and goals and, in the process, carved a new vision, which is “To be the leading service provider, continuously innovating and reshaping our chosen markets”.
The Company which is the first publicly – listed ground handling company on the floor of the Nigeria Stock Exchange has a history of regular dividends payments to its valued shareholders.
NAHCO Plc has more than 1,900 Nigerian and expatriate staff in its employment. Our staff are well trained and provide excellent services in aircraft ground handling, cargo handling and indeed in all services provided by the company within the aviation industry.
Our Board is made up of high-profile Nigerians that have distinguished themselves and made positive marks in their various fields of endeavours. These distinguished Nigerians are Sir Seinde Fadeni-Oladapo (Board Chairman); Engr. Mohammed Gambo (Vice-Chairman); Mrs Olatokunbo Fagbemi (GMD/CEO); others are Mr Akin Fanimokun, Sir Sunday Nwosu and Mr Salman Oluwatoyin.
Our business growth strategy led to the establishment of three subsidiary businesses:
- NAHCO Free Trade Zone Limited (NFZ) with a license issued by the Federal Government of Nigeria to drive the free trade zone initiative of the government at the airports. NFZ is the first airport-based free trade zone in the country;
- Mainland Cargo Options Limited (MCO), a subsidiary company established towards meeting the objective of harnessing the opportunities of the Air, Land & Sea logistics; and
- NAHCO Energy Power and Infrastructure Limited (EPI), established to tap into opportunities in the power sector.