This section of NAHCO Aviance website provides an overview of corporate governance practices at the company, with emphasis on the Board and how it operates. NAHCO Aviance is committed to observing high standards of corporate governance. The Board of Directors recognizes the importance of best corporate governance principles, its valuable contribution to long-term business prosperity and accountability to shareholders.
The company has in place a comprehensive Governance Manual that includes Board Charters, Codes of Conduct, Code of Ethics, and Employee Handbook, all of which have enabled NAHCO Aviance to substantially comply with international best practice and Nigeria’s new SEC Combined Code of Corporate Governance.
Board of Directors
The Board currently comprises Nine Directors, made up of Eight non-executive Directors and one Independent director. The Board is responsible to shareholders for creating and delivering sustainable value through its general supervision of the company’s business. The positions of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer are held by different persons, in order to avoid concentration of power. All the Directors bring various competencies to bear on all board decisions, as each has experience, knowledge, qualifications, expertise and integrity necessary to effectively discharge the duties of the Board of Directors. (Members of Board of Directors)
The Senior Management Committee constitutes the Executive Management of the Company. The team is led by the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer. (read more)
In performing its oversight functions, the Board operates as a full Board or through Board Committees. The details of the committees’ functions are contained in the Committees’ Charter. Below is a summary of their respective terms of reference.
RISK, INVESTMENT AND COMPLIANCE COMMITTEE
The primary objective of the Committee is to assist the Board of Directors in discharging its duties in relation to the following:
- Review and analysis of financial matters;
- Assist the Board in fulfilling its responsibilities to oversee the strategic direction of the Company, ongoing planning process and initiatives;
- Focusing the attention of the Board on long-range objectives for the Company;
- Risk management and analysis;
- Achievement of corporate goals within an appropriate framework of internal control and risk management;
- Compliance with statutory occupational health and safety laws and regulations;
- Monitoring and controlling of business and other risks;
- Safeguarding the Company’s assets and risk evaluation.
GOVERNANCE AND REMUNERATION COMMITTEE
The primary objectives of the Committee are:
- To assist the Board in meeting appropriate corporate governance standards;
- To assist the Board in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities on the remuneration policies in relation to the Company’s direction and aligning such with the Company’s corporate objectives.
Relationship with shareholders
As a deliberate policy, NAHCO Aviance maintains effective and open communication with its shareholders. This enables shareholders to understand the company’s business, financial conditions, and operating performance and prospects. The company strives at all times to build an enduring relationship with shareholders. The Board ensures that shareholders receive prior notice of meetings and that all statutory notices and information are communicated regularly.
Shareholders are encouraged to freely communicate their thoughts by contacting the Company Secretary or the Head, Corporate Governance and Stakeholder Relations.